Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mother's Night Crosspost

click here for the transparent version

For a while now I've been wanting to make some simple, easy-to-proliferate images of the Matres or Matrones, a matrix of Germano-Celtic goddesses whose votive images are found in Germania, Gaul and Northern Italy. Some Norse pagans identify the Matres with the ancestral disir honored on Mothers' Night. Their cult was pretty inclusive (one pillar explicitly includes the mothers of Africa along with Italy and Gaul), and some of the inscriptions are pretty wild; the Warlike Mothers, the Mothers of the Ancestral Homelands, the Sagely Mothers, the Fatherly Mothers, etc. Eventually I'd like to do a bunch of variations based on these different ideas. Meanwhile, feel free to use the above image in any way you wish.

4 comments:

  1. Interestingly, I used the phrase "Mother Night" as one description of December 21st in terms of its usage as a festival date for Nyx, who is "Mother Night" to a variety of deities (and to some humans, too!), and because it is the longest night and the night from which Sol Invictus is born...

    I am sure I ran across this Germanic custom/holiday name previously, but had forgotten it...and yet, possibly not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw your subsection about that in your recent post, and wondered if you didn't have Modranecht somewhere, subconsciously, in your mind. Maybe so! :)
      (I was also glad to read that your niece is doing better. Bless her!)

      Delete
  2. Incidentally: do you have any original (and complete and ready-to-use) artwork of any "goddesses" at all? I need something for the front cover of my upcoming goddesses poetry book, and it would be great to have something new and original rather than some public domain photo of some old statue or other...E-mail me soon with samples, if you have any! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [Belatedlyyyyyy]
      All right, I'll see what I've got and shoot you a message. :)

      Delete